Friday, April 3, 2009

Bad Behavior?

Okay, Jack might have a sleeping problem. His mom.

When I put Jack to bed for the first time at night, there are usually no issues. Okay, occasionally I will have to keep putting his pacifier in his mouth and run the vibrate function on his bassinette (yes, it has a vibrate function) but it usually isn't too bad. However, for the past two nights, the middle of the night feeding has left him fairly awake and it has been impossible to get him to sleep. Last night, I tried for nearly 2 hours. He has also been having trouble staying asleep for longer than 3 hours. I'd like to see him do at least 4, which is what I became accustomed to. His pediatrician says that this is developmental--he is staying awake longer now, which includes night time. Yippeee!

Anyway, here's the problem. The other night he woke up around 2 1/2 hours into sleeping. I tried to soothe him to no avail but wasn't ready to get up and feed him. Many times when I get up and bring him downstairs, he falls asleep (i.e. wasn't really ready to get up). So I try to stretch it. So back to the other night. . . to soothe him, I brought him into our bed with the intent to calm him for another hour. We both woke up 3 hours later. Last night when he wouldn't calm down, I brought him into our bed again with the same intent. . . and same result. I woke up with major back and arm pain from sleeping on my arm, careful to cuddle him but not smother him. He loves sleeping in bed with Mommy. He loves to put his little face right next to mine and fall asleep. Mommy likes it too--except for the sore arm and back part. My fear now is that he won't be able to go to sleep without Mommy right next to him. I've gotta find a way to break us both of this habit!

No comments: