Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Longest Month

9 months.

I think that they make the gestational period for a human 9 months long because by the time said human has reached 9 months, she doesn't even worry about the birth part because she is so tired of the pregnant part. At least that's how I feel now. I don't want to complain too much because, other than the fact that I kind of look like a gorilla and have cankles, the whole pregnancy thing hasn't been so tough. I am pretty thankful, given horror stories I have heard. However, things have gotten more uncomfortable (especially sleeping) and the novelty has worn off. I just want to meet the little guy. I just want to stop worrying that everything will be okay. I know, I know, you never stop worrying but I would like a new set of things to worry about!

Anyway, I had my doctor appointment on Tuesday and I was measuring at 40 weeks, even though I am only 36. After feeling around the baby, the doctor said that, though there is certainly room for error when you are merely feeling the baby, he felt like he was 7-8 pounds already. Given the fact that Dad was 12 pounds at birth makes us think that she may be right. So the next steop--next week, we have an ultrasound to better determine his actual size and then the course of action. That means either he's smaller than they think and we'll just proceed normally, or he'll be big and we have to make a decision on a C-section. I am willing to do whatever to ensure this little Munchkin gets here safely. And it sounds like there are some pros to it: I'd get to go a little early, the planned date would be set and I could better plan my life and job, it's quicker, he'd have a nice, round head, and I'd get to spend 8 weeks with him instead of 6. I'll do what the doctor says but the choice, if I am given one, doesn't seem to hard.

Other than that, we are finishing things up this weekend. We are headed out to buy all the stuff that we need for his arrival, we have to prepare the final touches for his room, install a car seat, kittyproof the crib, and pack our bags, among other things. This is truly an exciting time right now. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. But it will be better than any Christmas I've ever had. I simply can't wait to meet our little guy. I hope he's as excited to see us!

1 comment:

Brooke Ullman said...

Its like the MOST AWESOME CHRISTMAS gift ever from which you never get a restful night sleep after opening... well, at least not until 6 months...so that's around back-to-school time, cheers! ;-)