Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Evicted!

We got home from our wonderful trip to Florida with Nonny and Poppy, after a 15+ hours of driving. Jack was amazing (again) throughout the entire journey, crying only the last 45 minutes of the drive there and merely whimpering the last 45 of the return trip. Even with a poopy, soggy diaper and besides the fact that he was starving! He's also extremely adaptable, sleeping well in hotels, Pack n' Plays, etc. He's ridiculous. In fact, Paul and I are afraid that if we have another one, we are really in for it. Either we are going to have Rosemary's Baby or a good kid that pales in comparison! No matter how good the next one might be, he/she couldn't possibly be as good as Jack. Therefore, I feel bad for the potential future offspring, since, even if he/she is good, he/she is still "the bad one!" Kidding aside, we feel extremely fortunate.

Upon our return, I held firm to my decision to evict Jack from our bedroom. I figured it would be the prime time, since he is 4 months old, we would have time to work on any sleeping issues since we are off from school, and since he has exceeded the weight limit on his bassinette! So, Monday night, I prepared his bed, set him up with fresh sheets, set up a fan, turned on the baby monitor, and worried that little Jack would wake up distraught, missing his mommy in the middle of the night.

I woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of the baby monitor beeping to tell me that it was running low on charge. So I got up to get the other one in his room. I checked on Jack, only to find that he hadn't moved an inch since I had set him down. I went back to bed, impressed that I had been able to sleep and that I hadn't checked on him 100 times to make sure he was okay. And the kid slept until 9:00 a.m.! He didn't miss Mommy. He didn't wake up distraught. He didn't cry to be fed. He didn't toss and turn trying to get comfortable. And I know I should be thrilled with all of this. BUT HE DIDN'T MISS MOMMY! Hopefully, I will get a different reaction when he is heading off for college!

Tonight, I set him on his back, turned his new mobile on, left a little light on and left him, awake in his room. He watched and listened to his mobile. When it stopped, he flipped over onto his tummy and went to sleep without a peep.

It's pretty clear to me that evicting Jack was a lot harder on Mommy. But Mommy did get one of the best nights of sleep she has gotten since before she was pregnant!

1 comment:

Brooke Ullman said...

This... isn't a shock. LOL!