Friday, August 21, 2009

The Music Man and Storytime

Jack LOVES music. I don't know if it is because we always sing to him, because we dance with him and around him, play music frequently, or because his Exersaucer rocks from side to side, but Jack dances. Whenever he hears a song that he likes, on his Exersaucer, one of his toys, etc., he starts rocking from side to side. Sitting or standing he starts rocking. Some of his favorites are Old MacDonald, the ABCs, and Coming Round the Mountain.

Also, we found that he likes his routine. Every night (well, every night that he doesn't fall asleep while eating his last bottle) we read a couple of stories just before bed. I used to read him big hardcover books but now, he grabs everything and doesn't do it gently. Since I don't want him to destroy his books before he ever truly enjoys them, I have resorted to reading exclusively board books. For the first one, he always tries to wiggle away. But the book just before bed has been "Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?" because Jack is always very into it, for whatever reason and because he calms down and smiles throughout. Anyway, my mom is in town and loves to read stories to babies. Last week, I gave her Corneilius and she started reading. Midway through the book, Jack's lower lip stuck out in a pout and he started crying. I stepped in to finish the book and he stopped crying. We figured it was a fluke since he has been irritable lately due to teething. However, when the same thing happened tonight, we knew that this book was just something that Jack keeps solely for me. It's something that just the two of us share, which is kinda nice. It is also nice to know he likes my storytelling voice. I think my mom is the best story reader ever but, apparently Jack thinks, at the very least for one special story, that I am the best reader he's ever heard.

No comments: