Saturday, October 3, 2009

Playing Catch with MA-MA-MA-MA-MA

It was a rough week at work. Scholastic Bowl started and I had to stay later after school on Tuesday and Thursday, reducing my time with Jack to three hours a day. Part of it was probably due to the fact that I was in a bad mood about the situation, but Jack was grumpy and not his usual happy self. I missed a lot of smiles and it made me even sadder. Carmen said he was great all day and was saying "Ma-Ma" a lot but I hadn't heard it at all. It also felt like one of the longest weeks of my life. So I was extremely excited when Saturday rolled around.

And my Jack was back! It was so wonderful to spend the whole day together. We didn't do anything special, other than spend so much quality time together but it was perfect. We played in every room of the house and played on the bed. He's been pretty mobile without quite crawling and has really enjoyed his new found freedoms. We played peek-a-boo on the bed. I put him in the middle of the bed and then disappeared below the bed. I would pop up at various parts of the bed and he LOVED it. Perma-grin across his face the whole time.

Later we played in the living room. I bought a six pack of "sensory balls" (balls with little spikey things on them) of varying sizes. Jack has always enjoyed them. I always roll them to him and he rolls them, though not necessarily in your direction. Today, he decided that throwing them would be more fun. So Jack and I had our very first game of catch! And he was great! I would roll him the ball, he picked it up, passed it to his right hand and threw it to me. Accurately! This went on for a good ten minutes and he was delighted everytime I caught the ball. Maybe we have a future pitcher on our hands.

And if all that wasn't wonderful enough, I caught him saying "MA-MA-MA-MA-MA" twice today!!!

I really didn't know what "living for the weekend" meant until this year!

No comments: