Monday, February 15, 2010

1st Birthday Party!!

Cake #1



Big cupcake decorated as a circus tent

The spread

Birthday lunch
Jack's birthday weekend was jammed packed and tons of fun. Nonny and Poppy came into town on Thursday and the fun didn't stop until school started the following Tuesday! On Friday, we spent the day finalizing all of the preparations for the party. We ordered balloons and started baking the cakes.
A few months ago I got suckered in by an commercial for Big Top cupcake, a baking pan that makes a huge, cake sized cupcake. The commercial had all of these cute ideas for decorating and if you ordered now, they would throw in free 3D animal cookie cutters AND the decorating ideas book. I was sold and so the idea to have a circus themed party was born. And thus began my first experience with being duped by a television product. The T.V. made the cupcake look the size of a small child. However, in reality, it was much smaller. In addition, the cake pan was slightly too big for one cake mix yet way too small for two. I did a practice run the week before to check it out and borrowed a cake pan in the shape of the number 1 as a backup plan.
So on Friday, it was time to bring my idea to life. And it worked out great! Except for the stupid animal cookies that did NOT easily assemble and become 3D. In fact, I threw them away to avoid having to wash them and store them! Yet I surprised myself with my decorating on the other cakes.
On Saturday morning, we woke up early to take Jack to his Kindermusik class, where he cried a lot and didn't like being with all the other kids until about five minutes before the end of the class. At 12:00 the guests arrived and the party was a success. Jack enjoyed his lasagna but didn't care much for opening presents and cried when I gave him his cake. He didn't eat any of it (it didn't help that he was ready for a nap at that point). Oh well, next year!
All in all it was a great birthday celebrated with family. I can't believe my little man is 1 year old but if each age keeps getting better (as has been the case thus far), we are in for one heck of a ride!






No comments: