Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jack's 2nd Birthday



February 5, 2010

Opening gifts

Jack's party

My baby boy turned 2 on February 5th. I can't even believe that just two years ago, my life changed forever for the better and I met the baby who would grow into the happy, funny little man, who has brought me so much joy. Two years ago, he could do nothing but lie there. Now he chats my ear off, runs around like a manic and makes me laugh constantly.
I had a great week planned. I wanted to have all sorts of fun activities leading up to his big day. However, he got sick and then the blizzard of 2011 happened, leaving us house bound. I was so bummed that the fun I had planned would have to be shifted to another time. On his actual birthday, I went into his room to get him out of bed. "Happy birthday, Jack!" I said. "Happy birthday, Mommy!" he replied. He got to watch CARS and we got him a cupcake for after dinner. He decided that he'd rather have ice cream. We let him open a couple of gifts but left some for his party on Sunday. He absolutely LOVES to open presents, screaming, "YAY!" after each little rip of paper. It doesn't even matter what's inside!
On Sunday, we had the family over for a CARS themed party. The kid is obsessed with the movie so it was easy to decide his party theme. We had hung the happy birthday sign after he had gone to bed the night before. When he came downstairs he said, "Wow! Look at that! Look at the 'H'!" It was a nice H. He got lots of great presents and had a lot more fun than last year when he cried and was tired and wouldn't eat any cake! He loved hearing the Happy Birthday song and has wished me, Paul, Bunky and Jo-Jo a happy birthday over the course of the last week.
************
Jack amazes me in every possible way. It's so much fun to have a buddy who just loves to do stuff with you. And everything I do is more fun with him. I love going with him to the store. He's a great listener and pays attention to what I say. He's always smiling and having fun. He's my buddy. And I am his. He always wants to snuggle or will come running into my arms to give me a hug. When we go anywhere (to the store, upstairs to take a bath, to brush his teeth, etc.) he says, "Mommy, hold my hand," and grabs my hand. I often catch myself looking at us holding hands in the mirror so I can capture in my mind forever the image of this little adorable boy in footie pajamas trotting by my side, periodically looking up at me and smiling.
I know there will be a day when he doesn't want to hold my hand at all. I know there will be a day when he doesn't come running into my arms for a hug. He will probably be too cool for me at some point. I think the change happens gradually so it doesn't kill you. But maybe not. Maybe he will have the confidence to give me a kiss goodbye when I drop him off at school or to tell me he loves me when he hangs up the phone, even if his friends are standing there. And I know that someday, I probably won't be his favorite person to hang out with, his best friend. And I know I'll be endlessly jealous of the lucky kid who gets to be. So when he grabs my hand, I always let him, even if both our hands are full of things (his with Bunky and Jo-jo who he tries to hug with one arm so he can free up the other for me) and I'll squeeze it tight knowing that these little precious moments are fleeting but, at the same time, that he'll be my amazing, best boy forever.











No comments: