Saturday, May 21, 2011

Potty Mouth

Jack likes saying "Dammit". Mostly, he likes getting a rise out of us by saying it. He likes to strategically use it in waiting rooms and at grocery stores, which is super fun. I'm pretty sure I know where he picked it up. The silver lining is that he uses it correctly. If we raise our voices and say his name, he fills in the rest. The not so silver lining is that he's 2. He also likes telling us not to say it, thus saying the word: "No say 'Dammit'!" Great.

Yesterday, I committed the unforgivable sin of paying attention to Dani when he wanted the attention. So he came up to me and pretended like he was going to bite me (maybe he really was going to bite me but I yelled out before he could.) He then followed up with the "Dammit". I had had enough. We have been ignoring it to try to get him to tire of it, we've yelled at him, we went old school and tried a little soap in the mouth which he found funny rather than annoying. So I declared a Time Out. He used to run to Time Out when you told him to but not anymore. I picked him up and plopped him down there. He stayed and was good. After the Time Out ended, I went to release him and told him that he couldn't say the bad word.

We returned to playing and he looked at me and said, "No say. . . " I could see the wheels turning in his head processing the fact that he was about to say the word he was told not to say. "No say. . . D....AT! No say DAT!" Atta boy, Jack!

2 comments:

Phyllie & Mitch said...

Soap in the mouth - you were maybe 5 and your Mom rubbed a bar of soap in your mouth cuz you were being a stinker. Your little face looked up at her and you said, with quite an attitude, "I like it!"

I don't remember if we laughed out loud or not, but I do believe she did it again! :)

(Cabin at Lake Catherine, WI)

CJ said...

I made the mistake of telling B to "throw the bad words in the garbage" when he was two. Whenever he wanted to say one, he would run over to the can, lift the lid and SCREAM whatever obscenity was in his head loudly and repeatedly.

Now he's fourteen.....maybe I need to get that garbage can out again!