Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quick Bits

Today Jack was getting a little to excited playing with Dani as I got her ready after her bath. He wound up smacking her in the face. I scolded him and Paul tried to lend a hand from downstairs.

Paul: Jack?
Jack: Yeah?
Paul: Do you wanna stay up there or come down and get ready for bed?
Jack: Stay up here.
Paul: Then you better behave.
Jack: Okay, Paul.


--------------------------------

Today was Paul's birthday but he unfortunately had an all day bowling tournament. The kids and I met him at the tournament for lunch. Jack associates all birthdays with cupcakes so we picked up some cupcakes to share with Paul and his team. The girls dove into the cupcakes but Jack hadn't had lunch yet and I explained to him that he could have a cupcake but that he would first have to have lunch. He remarkably seemed to accept this but told me frequently that "First we gonna have lunch and denn we're gonna have cupcakes," as though he were afraid I would forget. After one of these statements, I said:

Me: Jack, do you like cupcakes?
Jack: YES!!
Me: Why?

Jack (thought about this for a second and then said, rather incredulously): Because their GOOD!
Me: Oh.

Jack waited a couple of seconds and then said, "Mommy? I LOVE cupcakes!"

-------------------------------------

Dani might not be my child. I mean, other than the fact that she looks just like me and I was there when she was born, there are some things that make me wonder. The biggest is this kid's food interests. She LOVES all food but really likes vegetables (I hate them and only eat them because I have to). The other day, she was literally whining because I was not cutting broccoli fast enough. By the time she was finished, she had eaten all of her broccoli and also my entire portion. Then today, when we had cupcakes, she had one bite and didn't want any more. I finished her remaining cupcake and wondered what on Earth was wrong with her. Then I just wrote her off as a total freak. But now, I am seeing that this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. . .

No comments: