Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baby Steps

So just when I think that Jack is NEVER going to do something (crawl, walk, talk, etc.) after trying a new task over the course of a long period of time, one day I come home and he just does something new. He now repeats the words you tell him to (for the most part and it is a limited list). He can do "Mama", "Dada", "JoJo" (his stuffed monkey), "NaNa" (Nonny), and "Buh" (which is both ball and book). I think that ball is actually his first word because he looks at it and says it. We have to ask him to say Mommy or Daddy.

He also used to stand up when you asked him to. He'd look around, be amazed that no one was holding him and then laugh and fall into your arms. Last week, he decided he didn't want to stand up when we wanted him to. This kid definitely knows what he wants when he wants it! Now, when we ask him to stand up, he bends his knees so that we can't make him. Of course, I saw this as a set back in his efforts to walk. Well, I got home from work on Monday and he was a wild man. He was grabbing his ball and throwing it around from his knees, laughing and then chasing it and doing it again. Eventually he pulled himself up on the coffee table and stood for awhile. All of a sudden, he pivoted around and moved a little away from the table so he was touching the table with one hand but mostly standing on his own. Then he got this look on his face like, "hmm. I think I am going to try to walk now." He let go of the table and stood on his own for a few seconds. Then he took one step forward before falling to his knees. He did it once more and I was so excited! Grandma said he took TWO steps on Tuesday but when I got home, he decided that he didn't want to show me.

I am guessing that since he is now getting more brave, it will be just a matter of time. Then I'll be chasing the little man everywhere!!!

No comments: