Friday, August 26, 2011

First Day of School

We were beyond excited to send Jack to preschool. He has always loved learning and is prepared from an academic standpoint. We knew that he would struggle with the social aspect. He has, even over the summer, gotten way less shy than he used to be, so we were encouraged. But we still thought he'd be a crying mess on the day he was dropped off.

So, when we knew he was going, we started to talk up school. Months prior, we talked about how he was going to school. We got a book called, "I Love School". We talked about his teacher, Miss Nancy, and what he was going to say to her when he met her. And we still thought he'd be a crying mess on the day he was dropped off.

Instead, he was a champ! When he walked in the first day, it was probably the equivalent of an adult meeting a celebrity. Miss Nancy! Though he didn't say exactly what we had rehearsed, he did say "Good morning" back to her right away. Then he asked if he could play with the trucks. Apparently he was so wrapped up in the trucks and Miss Nancy that Carmen had to tell him twice that she was leaving. He didn't shed a tear. Apparently he did tears in his eyes when he finally came to the realization that he had been left there but he sucked it up well. And he even made me a picture.

Day 2 was Show and Tell day. After going through all of his treasures, he decided that he wanted to bring his garbage truck. In the morning, Carmen woke Jack up at 7 am. He kept telling her, "Come on! We gotta go to school!" He went into the class all ready to share his garbage truck with Miss Nancy. this time, Miss Nancy actually had to tell Jack to go give Grandma and Dani a kiss goodbye.

I never thought he would react this way and I couldn't be more thrilled. I know he will learn so much and just love it. I expected that to happen from the point I enrolled him. I just didn't expect him to be this way from the start. I am so proud of my big boy and I hope he always keeps his love of learning!

No comments: