Thursday, June 19, 2014

World Cup Fever

I don't really like soccer.  I never watch it and I don't understand all the rules.  But I LOVE the World Cup.  Paul does as well and this past week, he has turned Jack onto it as well.  As I mentioned, I was in Cincinnati this week and though I couldn't see the kids, I had some pretty great conversations with them.  Jack loved telling me who won each of the matches and had even perfected his Spanish accent for the Spanish-speaking countries.  Below are snippets of our conversation:


Jack:  Chile is playing Spain.


Me:  And who do you want to win?


Jack (to Paul):  Who do we want to win?


Jack (to me):  We want Chile to win because they're the underdogs.


Me:  Oh.  Do you know what an underdog is?


Jack:  No.


Me:  It's the team that no one thinks is going to win, the team that isn't supposed to win.  And the other team is better and should win.  And people usually like when the team that no one thinks is going to win actually wins.


Jack:  Oh. (long pause)  I have no idea what that means.




-----------


Me:  Who is your favorite team?


Jack:  Germany.


Me:  Why?


Jack:  Because you like them.


Me:  Yes.  But I like the United States too.  I want them to win and I want Germany to win. 


Jack:  Yes.  Germany plays Ghana and the United States plays Portugal and we want Germany and the United States to both win.


Me:  Yes.  But on June 26th, Germany plays the United States.  Who do you want to win then?


Jack:  Oh!  (long pause)  Well,  I want them to tie because then they both win.


(This kid is a genius.)


Me:  Yes.  But then they both lose too.


Jack:  Hmmm.  When Germany plays the United States, we'll have to think about who we want to win, don't we??

No comments: