Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Twice as long

EVERYTHING takes twice as long to accomplish with a baby. I find that, at the end of the day, I feel I have accomplished nothing and yet I feel that I am busy all day long! I do at least one load of Jack's laundry per day and wash bottle parts all day. After 37 diaper changes (man can this kid pee) and many feedings, I look up at the clock and see that it is evening! And I haven't even cooked anything yet. I don't think it will be a problem losing this baby weight because I haven't even been eating--I've been too busy! And I have also come to realize that I really need to plan ahead when attempting to run any errands.
I haven't run too many of them because Jack isn't supposed to go anywhere public for the first two months. Especially since it is flu season. But today, I had to take Jack back to the hospital--nothing bad--they just messed up his newborn screening tests and had to re-test him. I wasn't so excited to go in the first place since it meant heading to a hospital (where there are a lot of sick and snotty people) and because they were going to draw Jack's blood again and I didn't want to see him cry.
Anyway, I figured it would be best to leave right after one of his feedings so that I wouldn't have to worry about him getting cranky while away. I fed him, and changed him, put his hat on and was placing him into his car seat when he spit up the entire contents of his formula all over himself and the car seat. This was especially awesome since at his 5 o'clock feeding he decided to spit up down my shirt and into my bra! So I had to take him out, change his outfit, wipe down his car seat and make another bottle to bring with in the event that he got hungry again. Once I got him in the car, he passed out. At the hospital, I tried to keep him away from anything germy, covering up his car seat with a blanket and keeping him away from the lady with the mask over her face who looked like Death. I waited to register (I was the only person in the waiting room but it still took them 10 minutes to call me--there were three people working, only one of whom was actually registering anyone. Registration took forever because the guy was clearly not in a hurry and the prescription for the test had my name on it instead of Jack's. Apparently, they can't figure out that I am not needing a newborn screening and have to have a prescription with Jack's name on it. Then I had to wait another 10 minutes (still the only person in the room) to be called in for the test. Then the needle that they used was too wimpy to get through his heel (though not wimpy enough to make him not cry and bleed) and they had to get a "better" needle that they aren't allowed to use on a regular basis because of the cost, even though it would have been nice had Jack only had to get stuck once.
By the time we got home, it was over two hours later and Jack was a hungry boy and was not happy when I changed his diaper and outfit because he got blood on it. So ends the big outing of the day. After feeding him, we were both tired--Jack's been sleeping for 3 hours and I've used the time to catch up on cleaning and doing laundry again! I wonder what my big event for tomorrow will be!

1 comment:

Brooke Ullman said...

Yup, this all sounds about right. It does "get better"... but more importantly, you learned to adjust (like, you learn how to live on granola bars and to not give two sh*ts about a spit-uppy soaked bra. Eh, it all evens out in the end.